Monday 28 June 2021

Unsuitable 6

It was new year’s eve and I was gonna spend it in Mina Abdullah, our beach house. I was preparing my overnight bag when he called. “ hala zayonti” 

“ hala habebi” 

“ shbetswen elyom?” 

“ shaleh m3a ahali o enta?”

“ oh .. wallah nothing, wain shalehkom?” 

I tell him the exact location.  “no party?” i teased 

“ you know I don’t party” 

Well thank god…

I hung up and went down to the kitchen when I see my mother. 

“ daraitay? Bint khaltich ghalia enkha6bat , mashallah egolon ehy t3rfa.. shofy min khathat wani3m elrijal “ 

“Oh mashallah, allah ewafegha”

“ wenti 3alamich?” 

What? 

“ laish m7d eyey e6ig elbab  o lamma a7d eyey tarfitheen?”

“ yumma shl kalam b3d ma nasiboni” 

“ etha t3rfen a7d goleli.. shkobrich sirty mnti sghera elreyayel mayabon w7da kbera tra” 

Oh fuck it. My mom was so damn old fashioned and annoying we’ve never gotten along 

“ yumma b3d ma yani niseeb shaswi” 

“ 6eya7 el7ath shlon gayel t3lmi min ghalia” 

I decided to shut it. It wouldn’t end well. I was more of a daddy’s girl, he was the softest, kindnest parent and I loved him to death, my mother not so much.. she was an old fashioned lady who married young and stayed at home to raise the kinds after graduating college. She disapproved of my choices. Being a 30 year old unmarried woman, while the rest of the girls in the family (younger than me) married with children. 

I loved my mother don’t get me wrong, we just don’t get along. 

I thought of Musaed. Would he pop the question? Did he want to marry me? I was to afraid to ask. 

That marriage thing kept me thinking all day, and I ended up having anxiety and a foul mood. I felt so low and so uncertain , why did she affect me so much? It was before 12 am, when I went to the bathroom to cry a little, the gathering was causing me more anxiety , what with ghalia getting married and eveyone presurring me to do something about my unmarried state. 

When I got out of the bathroom it was 12 and my phone was ringing. Musaed. 

I went outside to talk to him. “ hi” 
“ hi, happy new year”

“ happy new year” 

“Shfech?”

“ shfeni? “

“ your voice” 

“ ma feeni shay really” 

“ okay , wainich?” 

“ bl shaleh”

“ ee bra wla dakhil?”

“ bra obviously “ 

“ come outside” 

“ are you serious? Musaed noooo” 

“ yes” 

And I did!!  He was here! 

I went outside in the chilly december night , and their was his car. My throat clogged with unshed tears, damn I adored him. 

I got in the car and he drove us away“ i’ve missed you zayon” he reached for my hand and raised my fingers to his lips , kissing each finger. 

My heart fluttered. “ me too” 

He suddenly stopped the car, turned off the engine and looked at me. 

“ come here” 

I put my head on his chest , he was so warm and smelled soapy and amazing , I hated most heady men cologne, his was something else. 
He was in a dark dishdasha , his hair so thick and beautiful, his olive skin contrasting his amazingly white teeth , I loved every detail. 

He planted soft kisses over my head , smoothing my hair back slowly. “ shfeech?” 

“Nothing really” I whispered, chocking back on tears. 

“ tell me, galbi e3awerni laman ashofich z3lana” 

“ its nothing, inner struggles”

“ you don’t have to struggle alone”. 

“ it’ll be fine” 

“ ra7 tgoleli eventually ok?”

“ ok” I lied. 

“ zayoona.. Kil mra ashofich feha kan wdi I kiss you, enti tadren ahkithir I’m attracted to you , adry enich tadren.. bes ana ni6art 3shan tkon our first kiss memorably, emswi 7araka y3ni bil new year” he brushed his thumb against my lower lip. 

I giggled and blushed crimson red but he was already getting close, kissing the corner of my mouth and whispering “ I love your laugh, and your teeth and your smile” 

He kissed my upper lip and then the lower before sucking both in his mouth while murmuring things I didn’t care to catch and then everything happened so fast..I was on his lap my tongue interwined in his and  the whole universe illuminated with tiny butterflies…. 

Shit. 

No comments: