Sunday 8 May 2022

Unsuitable 15

I looked back at him brazenly, and our eyes locked. He smiled widely, and he had dimples , I realized surprisingly..it’s like I was seeing him for the very first time, his face dark with five o’clock shadow and his eyes sleepy like that of a puppy , he looked almost boyish.


“ you’re everywhere” I sent jokingly 

“ you follow me!” He texted back 

“ now why would I do that?”

He didn’t text back until later that night. “ good evening”

I left him on read and threw my iPhone in my purse. 


“ do you know Hamad alfulani? The guy-“

“ eee” my cousin interrupted me “ shmil7a , he’s single”


I laughed “ bismillah! Shdarach”


“ madry khosh wa7id , okhoy wayid yemd7a, his sister makhtha our cousin Flan”


“ ohhh okay, wlni3im wallah”


“ so , why you asking”


“ I see him at yoga regularly he’s nice”


“ also nice looking” she wiggled her eyebrows 

I laughed. He was. Indeed 


“ ooh sa7 he also has his own house with a sea view takhyli , dreamy” 


I woke up late that morning , almost noon and I hated it when I overslept.. I reached for my phone and sent him a good morning text, just because.


He didn’t reply back until I was in my car heading back to the city , with my cousins. 

 

“ hala wallah, shl akhbar?”


“ 7aadra eldeera, u?”


“ staying the whole week bil shalaih , taking the week off of work”


“ lucky..”


“ not really, 3ndy 3ommal mjabelhom hni”


“ oh not so lucky then..” He left on me read, he was probably occupied .. I didn’t really care, the only reason I participated in this texting game was because I wanted to know things about my ex, and be close to someone related to my ex. I was stupid and still in love with him..


He didn’t bother to text again after that weekend and I totally forgot about him. I woke up early on Sunday morning to get ready for work. I normally woke up late and rushed but today Was exceptional, I needed to look good, it’d been a while. I put on my eyeliner impeccably, curled my blonde hair to glossy perfection and wore a Balmain tee and matching blazer and my old jeans which (delightfully) fit now that I lost 20 pounds. I sprayed myself with Blanche byredo my go to day scent , some Bukhoor and left to work.


It was a slow day at the tower. I was bored to death and I needed my zillionth coffee for the day. So I called my favorite colleague 


“ yallah ok bs let me water my plant”


I waited for her outside her cubicle checking myself on the long mirror opposite, Hair looked great, lipstick great. “ yalla zayon”


It was 1 in the afternoon , The coffee shop was swarming with employees from different companies in the tower, I waited in the queue for my turn while listening to my colleague Maha chattering about her latest travels. Her wild honey brown curls like a halo of light surrounding her..


“ you should come to this village in mexico”


No I shouldn’t, I prefer luxurious cities and hotels and-


“ we get to cook with the villagers” she said enthusiastically, I shuddered. “ sounds fun” I lied, my eyes scanning the boys in dishdasha’s before me , some familiar some not..some hot.. some not.. 


And then there was Hamad! My ex’s cousin.. standing a head taller than everyone else, his stance emanating power and authority…I didn’t know he worked here , did he work here? Was he always this tall? Why did he look different? Darker? 


“ zaina what’s your order?”


Maha’s voice brought me out of my reverie  “ non fat vanilla latte” I mouthed out my order , still aware of him in the table before us. 


We grabbed our coffees and sat on the table next to his. 


Maybe he knew about me and Musaed! Oh god , my face started burning, my paranoia escalating, how? How did he know? And what if he did? It wasn’t any of his business 


He totally ignored me.


I went back home that day feeling a little crappy, I hated that I still had feelings for Musaed and that I wasn’t moving forward with my life. 


It was 5 pm , I changed into comfy pajamas and crashed on my couch. 


I woke up two hours later to the sound of my alarm. Shit it was past 7 


I scrolled through my messages and surprisingly saw one from him  “ hi sorry elyom ma gedart asallim kint with business partners ..”


“ his! La 3ady eshda3wa , you work in the tower?”


“ 3ndi maktab hni bs not daily”


“ oh okay”


“ wanna have coffee in my office bachir?”


That took me off guard! He wanted me to have a coffee in his office! That felt so wrong I didn’t even like him really or did I?


“ sure when?” I sent because I was single and bored and had nothing better to do  

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Boredom make you do crazy stuff 🤣

Anonymous said...

We like hamad

Anonymous said...

We like hamad

Anonymous said...

mita alnext part?

Anonymous said...

I've been rereading your blog again for the past 2 days. You're a brilliant writer & your stories are captivating.

Hope you see this & continue "Unsuitable" when you get the chance.

- Zaina

Anonymous said...

cant wait 7ag alpart alyay